Maricopa Medical Center was established as the “county” hospital in 1883 when ten acres were purchased for the facility at Yavapai and Baltimore streets (which is now 7th Avenue and Roosevelt). In 1898, the hospital was moved to 35th Avenue and Durango. This was 3 miles outside of Phoenix (at that time) and away from the general population. The hospital was a safe haven for tuberculosis patients and many of the poor and indigent of the area.
Many years passed; issues came and went. During this period, there were additions and changes to the small hospital. In'48, the hospital was licensed as a health care facility by the Arizona Department of Health Services. Then, in'52, the hospital was approved as a teaching hospital by the American Medical Association and accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals (JCAHO).
In'65, Dr. MacDonald Wood and Dr. William Ray Price developed the burn unit at Maricopa County General Hospital. Soon after in'70, the hospital moved to its current location on 24th Street and Roosevelt. Patients began to be transferred to the new facility in February'71. With the long awaited opening of the hospital in it’s new location, a burden was lifted from all those involved in the the planning and structure of the new facility. It was a cold February when 300 patients were transferred from the Durango facility to the new hospital. There were even some patients brought by personal cars in addition to those being moved via ambulance with the help of Army Reserve medics and nursing student volunteers.
The burn unit celebrated its first dedication in'77, but in'92, it was officially designated as a Level I Burn Center by the American Burn Association. Several years later (circa 2000), Dr. Daniel M Caruso (Medical Director) had the name changed to The Arizona Burn Center.
Maricopa County General Hospital has been in the business of caring for trauma patients over the last 60 years. In'83, during the time the Arizona State Medicaid program became Arizona Health Care Cost Contaimment System (AHCCCS), the hospital changed its name to its current designation, Maricopa Medical Center (MMC).
In June 2011, Maricopa Integrated Health System (MIHS), District Medical Group (DMG) and the University of Arizona (UA) College of Medicine – Phoenix unveiled an affiliation agreement that strengthens medical education for Arizona. Under the affiliation, approved by the Arizona Board of Regents on June 16, 2011 and earlier by the boards of MIHS and DMG, UA medical students will get world-class experience from MMC. The agreement lays the groundwork for a partnership between the UA medical school, MIHS and DMG that covers medical training, including graduate medical education programs, as the school expands.
“This is truly a major step forward for the Maricopa Integrated Health System, District Medical Group and the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix,” said Betsey Bayless, President and CEO of MIHS. “The UA is seeking clinical environments where patient care is personalized, team-based, technologically advanced and applied from clinical research. MIHS will be the place where that happens.”